Thursday, May 19, 2011

STRAWBERRY DELICIOUSNESS

Growing up in a fairly cramped suburb of a city, I never really imagined myself living in 'the country' and growing my own produce... but that is how things have turned out... and I do quite enjoy it.
One of the things we planted last spring was strawberries... we planted them from small root stems with nothing more than a leaf or two on them, and this spring they have grown like weeds... our strawberries REALLY produced.

We've eaten some fresh, frozen some for smoothies, and then I decided to try my hand at making strawberry jam.
I was so excited... my first fresh 'preserve'...

Here is the 'evolution' of our strawberries :)
And if I do say so myself.. the jam tasted YUMMMMMMMMYYY! lol
Thanks to my friend Tricia for teaching me how to make it...

4 comments:

Along the way . . . said...

Yum! I'll bet it's heavenly!

Janine said...

Silly question because I don't have any green fingers at all, what did you do with the strawberry 'plant' in the winter when it snowed. Did the snow just fall over it and then it grew this spring? Or did you cover it up? Or do you have a green house? Please excuse my ignorance.

Carla Geddes said...

Janine, We didn't do a thing.. it was snowed on, and frosted on and somehow it survived and grew again in the spring.

K and M said...

Those look fabulous!! Way to go! How I'd love to have some of my own plants produce like that! How did you keep birds and other pests off those beauties?! All our berries became nothing more than bird food, when not eaten by the rabbits first.