Sunday, November 11, 2012

ROBIN RUN 5K... FIRST PR

Yesterday, I ran my 2nd official 5K (Color me Rad doesn't count. lol)
Back in May, I ran my first 5K...I posted about that one back then..
Since then I had a goal to beat my time (I finished it in 28:07)
Summer in NC stinks (hot, humid and too many gnats), so I didn't get out as much as I'd have liked, but I started running more often again when the weather started cooling down, to train a bit for the 5K I did yesterday. My goal - finish in under 27 minutes

The morning was PERFECT weather... 50's, blue skies, sunny, light breeze... couldn't really ask for better weather for a run.
The race was pretty old school.. no chip timing, just a clock at the finish line, so I used my RunKeeper app to time myself, and it correlated perfectly with the clock, so I guess that worked out well despite the lack of chip timing.
I didn't know the area that we ran in, so I wasn't sure what to expect.. I just followed the signs.
The course wasn't the greatest... LOTS of corners, and about 4 decent size hills. Those were a killer.
My first mile (1.6km) went pretty well... 7:30 minutes (I've never run a mile that fast before... I'm just not a fast runner)... when my runkeeper told me that, I got my hopes up for an even better time than my goal... and then I hit the first hill...
I slowed down after the first mile again, and wasn't able to get back to that pace. The hills were killing me. Bleh.. oh well.
I ended up finishing in 26:42 (8:28 average pace/mile) (5:16 minutes/Km)
01:25 improvement from May... not much, but a PR (personal record) is a PR right?
I'm thrilled that I met my goal, but that first mile had me 'dreaming' of an AWESOME time...maybe next time, with a flatter course.
The next 5K I'm shooting for is February...so I have a few months to train (between LOTS of holiday eating, and a vacation trip. lol)





 

No comments: