Tuesday, May 4, 2010

LUKES LIFE LATELY

Luke is developing so fast lately. Both in skills and abilities as well as in personality. 

He is walking more frequently now, though often he still decides to crawl instead because walking takes more time and patience, and patience isn't something our little adventure seeker has. After all, he only has so many waking hours to terrorize and tornado through our home.
He has also started to climb things. Usually he will find something to use as leverage...a book lying on the floor, one of us sitting on the floor etc... and he tries to climb onto things. The other night he successfully climbed onto the coffee table using Jakes leg as a step (see video). 
He is slowly though quite reluctantly learning to understand and follow instructions. Sometimes he opens the desk drawer and throws the stationery out, or plays with the scissors... obviously not the safest choice in toys, so I usually tell him 'no' as soon as I catch him. A few days ago, I asked him to please close the stationery drawer, and I kinda tried to show him by using pushing movements (I was sitting across the room)... to my surprise, after watching me for a few seconds, he pushed the drawer closed...though, it wasn't long before he tried his luck opening it again to get more 'loot' to play with. lol

Something we have really been enjoying lately is that Luke has started to laugh at things completely spontaneously... before, we had to tickle him or do something to make him laugh... now he laughs at random things that he finds funny. We caught him on camera the other day. Jake and I were sitting on the couch chatting, while Luke was playing at the bookshelf... suddenly, he just started giggling... we looked over at him, and he caught our eyes and just kept giggling.. it was really funny. I wish I knew what he was laughing at though. LOL 
 
Here is a video of our boy with the giggles, the tail end of him climbing on to the table, and some more of him wobbling his way across the room.


He has also become so loving and affectionate over the past few weeks. I always felt like I had missed out, because I never had a baby who liked to be held and cuddled. Luke always fought us if we held him to tight, or tried to cuddle with him, so it has been a welcomed change to have my sweet little boy occasionally lie on my shoulder for a cuddle and a back tickle and to give kisses. He has also grown very attached to his 'Snuggle Monkey'... we have 2 of these, so one stays in his crib, and lately one has been driving in the car with us. Lukes face lights up whenever you give it to him, and he immediately pulls his monkey in tight for a little snuggle. We asked him the other night if he would give his Snuggle Monkey a kiss... and he very willingly did. He still give wide, opened mouth wet kisses. LOL I love those wet kisses :D
Quite some time ago, we bought the collection of Baby Einstein DVD's. I sometimes put one on in the background, and just let Luke listen to the classical music that they play. The Baby Beethoven DVD seems to be his favourite from the collection. For the most part, Luke has really been too young to sit and watch the DVDs which are about 30 minutes long, but recently, he has been showing a greater interest in them. I mostly put them on in the mornings, so that I can get a few minutes to get myself organized, and try to wake up properly. LOL. A couple days ago, he sat very intently watching the show for about 15 minutes. 
Not that I plan to encourage extensive tv watching, but Baby Einstein provides a few minutes of peace and I find most of the DVDs to be visually stimulating for Luke and combined with their choice of classical music, I think it's pretty harmless in short stretches.
He is definitely turning into a little boy, and leaving his baby stage behind.

We allowed Luke to try feeding himself with a spoon the other day. I don't really think he is ready, because he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to try it himself. He is happy to either use his hands for finger foods, or allow me to spoon feed him things like yoghurt etc.. but I thought we would let him try anyway. 
This is the outcome. LOL
"Sporting a silly face in his new Pooh Bear pj's from his uncle Jarryd and Aunty Doma"

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Love it! that is super cute. We sure enjoyed hanging out the other day.