Thursday, April 22, 2010

BUGS.COM

Ok, so in the last 3 or so years, I have become well acquainted with the world of online shopping. I am a frequent ebayer, often on Amazon, and before I buy just about anything out of the ordinary in a local store, I first research the prices I can find online, looking for that great bargain... However, I usually purchase things such as baby products, toys, gifts etc online... 'normal' things...
Since moving to North Carolina, my life has changed a little... we have a good size property, and for pretty much the first time in my life, (or at least that I can remember), we have a garden... we have planted vegetables and a few fruits, and I am learning my way around the garden with a shovel, a pile of dirt and a lawn mower... obviously, to start out garden we needed some seeds and plants, which I discovered you can order online... obviously it's no surprise to me that you can get seeds in the mail, but I was slightly surprised that you could order live plants online, that are shipped to you in regular cardboard boxes...
Then, recently we realised that we have some aphids and other small pesty bugs eating our still very young strawberry plants, and I am sure in no time at all they will make their way to our other fruits and vegetables... so, I was in search of a natural, safe solution... then a friend mentioned using lady bugs... so I researched about them online, and as she had said, lady bugs are a great pest control for aphids and other small plant eating bugs, so I started looking around at where I could buy them....

WEIRD... but I could order a bag of 1500 lady bugs ONLINE... so you literally can order anything on the internet and have it delivered to your mail box... so, today I walked out to the mail box and surely enough there was a small box with my mail, which I opened to reveal 1500 crawling, live lady bugs...

Like that wasn't odd enough... the instructions with the lady bugs were to rinse off the bag (it had holes so the bugs would get rinsed), and then store them in your refrigerator until you were ready to release them into your garden. LOL... so, right now I have 1500 lady bugs in a bag in my fridge. LOL...

3 comments:

K and M said...

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!! Although, the guy who sold his soul on ebay comes pretty close. :) So, if you don't mind me asking, how much does a bag of bugs cost??

T and B said...

That is crazy! Learned something new today! I hope they solve your problem.

Tricia said...

That is so cool. and a little creepy... :)